13th Annual Bat Fest – August 19th, 2017
What will you see at Bat Fest this year? 1.5 million Mexican free-tailed bats emerging from under the bridge at dusk, 3 stages with live music, more than 75 arts & crafts vendors, delicious food and drinks, fun children’s activities, a bat costume contest and other bat activities.
Location: Congress Ave Bridge
Address: 100 South Congress Ave., Austin, TX 78704
Hours: 4pm to Midnight
Cost: Admission $15 cash at the gate. Kids 8 and under free with an adult.
Flipkey has an article featuring Bat Fest as a top small town event in the U.S.
Here’s the link to the full article once more: https://www.flipkey.com/blog/2017/03/16/small-towns-unique-festivals-america/
Find out who is going and talk with others on Facebook
Want to be in the front row? Get a VIP ticket. It includes access to VIP only designated areas featuring front row standing area at the main stage in the Austin American Statesman parking lot, also a front row area at the North Bridge stage and the triphound.net stage, private restrooms, a tented backstage area with seating and tables, a voucher to be used at the official event merchandise booth for any event t-shirt available, reserved VIP parking in the nearby TXDOT lot, a private cash bar with the only mixed drinks available at the festival including 2 complimentary drink tickets* for any adult beverage served at the bar (adult beverages can be purchased after drink tickets are used), 1 food voucher for the backstage catering area, water and soda. *Must be 21 or older to consume beer, wine, or liquor in Texas. Fat Sal’s will have a food trailer in VIP making food to order this year! Menu: The Fat Buffalo (chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks, melted cheddar, fires, buffalo hot sauce, blue cheese, on a hero) The Fat Texas BBQ (bbq pastrami brisket, chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks, bacon, grilled onion, melted cheddar & mozzarella, fries, mayo, honey bbq, on a garlic hero) Irresistible Italiano (ham, genoa salami, pepperoni, provolone, sweet & hot peppers, shredded lettuce, tomato, red wine vinaigrette, on a hero)
About the Bats:
Because bats are wild animals, it is hard to predict exactly when the emergence will begin but the flight usually begins between 7:00 – 8:45 p.m. For current emergence times call 512-327-9721 EX16. The emergence can last up to ½ hour as 1.5 million Mexican free-tailed bats head out for their nightly flight.
Bat Costume Contest:
Prize is $100 for Best Adult Costume and $100 for best childrens costume. Participants will be lined up on Stage, and the crowd will be asked to yell for the costume they like the best. Originality is encouraged.
Parking/ Getting There
Free Parking: TXDOT lot located accessed from Riverside Drive just east of Congress 150 & 200 East Riverside Dr. Signs on fence as shown below.
- *Numerous paid lots in the area including the following. For a complete list check out Parkopedia.com
- * PAID Parking: The Austin American Statesman Parking Lot at 166 East Riverside Dr. Drive to the end of the road.
- * PAID Parking: Palmer Events Center Garage, S. 1st and Riverside
- * PAID Parking: One Texas Center 505 Barton Springs Road Austin, TX 78704
- * PAID Parking: Various hotels in area both south and north of the river
- * PAID Parking: The Long Center at 701 W Riverside Dr, Austin, TX 78704
- * PAID PARKING: 100 N. Congress and the entrance to the garage is on Ceaser Chavez between Congress and Colorado
- Bike Parking: We have Bicycle Rack to secure your bike. Be GREEN!
- *Bike Share to Bat Fest: We’ll valet your Austin B-cycle from 6pm to Midnight at the entrance at Barton Springs and Congress Ave.
- Ride the Bus It is a great cheap, green option.
- *Try www.rideaustin.com and get dropped off just yards from the front gate! Use promo code “BATFEST” – the code will be worth $15 off for first time riders!
General Admission TBD at the gate day of show cash only! (8 and under free with an adult admission)
General Admission gets you access to all three stages, bats, arts and crafts booths, children’s area, the statesman parking lot event, the bridge, and more!
Hours: 4pm to Midnight
- Food & Drinks
- Liquor Beer or Wine
- Weapons or Fireworks
You Can bring:
- Baby Food & Drinks
- One bottle of water
Bat Flight Video
Bridge North Stage
Triphound.net stage located in park on South side of Bridge in trees behind Statesman Stage
- 6:55pm Bat Costume Contest
The Radisson Hotel Has the best view of the bats and is the closest to the event of any hotel in Austin. Click the link for special discounted festival rates!
Address: 111 E Cesar Chavez St, Austin, TX 78701, United States